Mathematics is a very social science, and much progress happens in formal and informal discussions between active people, often with different background. We are thus actively involved in various forms of mathematical interaction.
- At Jacobs University, we run an active mathematics colloquium (usually Mondays, 17:15, preceded by coffee & tea).
- The dynamics team runs its regular seminar in geometry and dynamics (usually Tuesdays, 14:15, followed by the dynamics coffee & cake); external and internal speakers share their recent research progress and discuss their questions.
- Informally associated to the dynamics seminar is the informal learning seminar which is a place where current progress in the field is discussed and shared.
Moreover, we are involved in the organization of international research conferences, including the following:
- 2003 Paris, Institut Henri Poincaré: Transcendental days (with Adrien Douady, Paris)
- 2005 CIRM Luminy/Marseille: Dynamique conforme, geometrie hyperbolique, et fractions continues (with Adrien Douady, Paris; and Mitushiro Shihikura, Tokyo)
- 2008 Bremen: Aspects of transcendental dynamics (with Walter Bergweiler, Kiel)
- 2008 Oberwolfach: Trends and developments in complex dynamics (with Mikhail Lyubich, Stony Brook; Carsten Petersen, Roskilde; and John Smillie, Cornell)
- 2010 Bremen: New Trends in Harmonic and Complex Analysis (with Alexander Vasiliev, Bergen; and Marcel Oliver, Bremen)
- 2014 Będlewo (Poland): Perspectives in Complex Analysis (with Krysztof Baranski, Warsaw; David Drasin, Purdue; Andrei Gabrielov, Purdue; Tadeusz Iwaniec, Syracuse; Feliks Przytycki, Warsaw; Boris Shapiro, Stockholm; Mitsuhiro Shishikura, Kyoto)
- 2015 Bremen: Dynamical Developments (with Xavier Buff, Toulouse; and Sarah Koch, Ann Arbor)
- 2015 Vienna, Erwin-Schrodinger-Institute: Ergodic Theory and Holomorphic Dynamics (with Anna Benini, Rome; Henk Bruin, Vienna; and Sebastian van Strien, London)
Among high-profile activities for international students that reach out to young talents, we co-organized the 50th International Mathematical Olympiad (IMO 2009) and the “Modern Mathematics” International Summer Schools 2011, 2013, 2015 (Bremen) and 2012, 2014 (Lyon), and also the “International Tournament of Young Mathematicians” (ITYM 2014).